Thursday, March 25, 2010

The Alchemist - Review

Vidit Bhargava
Written By: Paulo Choelo
Publisher: Harper Collins
The Alchemist was one of the books I was least interested in reading when taking up the book. It was bought by my brother an you see I wanted to read the other book, The Murder on the Orient Express but then I finally gave it a second thought and I started reading it just because it has been best seller.

Plot: Santiago a shepherd in Andalusia has a recurrent dream. A dream which tells that if he went to the Pyramids of Giza he would find his treasure. Santiago goes to a near by town, and there he meets a Gypsy women who interprets his dream. Then at a nearby plaza of the town he comes across a an old king. He encourages him to follow his dream and gives him two stones which will allow him to interpret the Omens. Santiago reaches the Port of Tanger, where his journey begins from. He is looted by a person there. Then he works for a crystal merchant earns the money and goes to pursue his dream. A long journey to the Oasis in Egypt is followed by an encounter with the Alchemist.

I've told a lot about the plot but believe me is just half of what the story is. This 150 pages book is story of a lifetime of Santiago and his dream. Paulo Coehlo has his own style writing. Any other writer would have concentrated more and more on his treasure but Coehlo has something more important and something which keeps a lasting effect. He concentrates on the things he learn during his journey and thats what I like about it.

Fluent and Constant in its speed you never wish to leave the book. I've also read it faster. One of the most important thing a book needs to be capable of is the connection it builds between the user and the book. Paulo Coehlo does it exceptionally well, you see through the book into the world of Santiago and thats what a good book has to do.

All in all, I'm completely impressed with the book. I would have regretted it, if I hadn't read it now. A book to be remembered for ages.

No comments: